Saturday, December 19, 2009

Igorot meets Igorot…

That was one week end I decided to go to this Made in Hawaii Fest to make some extra cash. The Festival’s product line include food, books, gifts, fashions, plants, art, crafts, produce and more. I am to sell fruit and vegies from a farm where I am an Agricultural Student Exchange; they call it. Time passed so fast that day. Everyone is so busy, smile here and there, give a good conversation and try to sell. Finally, there is this fellow who bought some stuff and was about to hand the money and I noticed a very familiar cloth that his wallet is made up of. I looked at him and he doesn’t seem to look like my suspicion... and doesnt seem to like talking... so with a little caution I said, “Nice wallet you got there, from Philippine right?”. Looked and stared, a little puzzled he asked, “Yes, how‘d you know?”.
“I am from there”, I replied.
“Really, what part”.
“Luzon…”
“Where in Luzon”
“Cordillera…”
“Where in Cordillera?”
“Mountain Province…” ‘Till we end up to Sagada where his wallet is from given to him by his grandma as a present. And from him I met the BIBAK Hawaii group and was able to play the gong with them. He is a local Filipino and only speaks English but knows a lot about his origin, in fact he plays the gong very well.

No comments: